Tuesday, February 10, 2009

As Bright As Day At Midnight

The full moon (known as the Snow Moon) brightened the snow-covered hill next to my house during the night. It was so bright, I almost thought about waking the kids up and taking them out sledding. But it's a school night, and there are neighbors to consider, and they're sound asleep.

So I stare out the kitchen at the brightness at midnight. And at 1:00 a.m. And 2:00 a.m. And 3:00 a.m. And at ....

I don't know if other moms out there go through this, but once or twice a month, I tend to have a bout of insomnia. Or what I think is insomnia. Maybe it's just really hard-core zoning out.

I get caught up doing some project - folding laundry, going through papers, doing stuff on the computer, and all of a sudden it's 2:00 a.m. That I can handle; having been a night owl my whole life, it's no biggie to go to sleep at that point and still get up in the A.M.

But the last two nights, it's been 5:10 a.m. and 3:20 a.m. respectively. I'm so tired today, I actually banged out sick today because I didn't want to get behind the wheel until I'd slept some more.

I've cut the caffeine out. I've tried a warm bath and warm milk. I'm considering the old cold medicine route tonight, as I have that on hand. That, or some Bailey's on the rocks.

It's not medically-related. It's not hormonal, as it happens at different points in the months. It also doesn't always happen on the full moon (for those of you reading this thinking "hmm, does she also notice a sudden increase in body hair and the presence of werewolf-like fangs?") It's more I-have-too-much-spinning-in-my-head. Anyone else out there go through this? Any suggestions?

No comments: