Thursday, May 20, 2010

"M" is for May, Mother's Day, and Mammograms


Happy Belated Mother's Day to all the moms out there.  I've been lurking but efforts to post anything have been thwarted by a number of interlopers.  Actually having to do work at work hasn't helped, nor has the Baby's new refusal to take an afternoon nap.  And like so many of you, the sudden addition of spring sports and end-of-year school activities leaves me wishing they'd get that cloning thing down... or that we lived in a mobile home (can you imagine?  I'd save an hour a night not having to drive to and fro!).  My sudden inability to remain upright and awake past 10:15 on any given night isn't helping either - I've done some of my best writing at 2:00 in the morning!

I've also been trying to focus on cleaning/decluttering the house so that I can give myself my Mother's Day gift.  I'm hiring a cleaning crew to come in and do one deep cleaning.  My thought process is that if I start fresh, I'll be able to keep up with it, rather than always feeling like I'm trying to catch up.

On a more personal note, I have yet another friend who's been diagnosed with breast cancer.  I, having put off my routine 40-year-old mammogram for 3 years (well... I got pregnant... then I nursed... then I was, um, busy?), was given this news two weeks ago by a friend we have in common.  Who then, knowing I hadn't rescheduled my mammogram, yelled at me to Get It Done.  And I did.  I called that day, they had a cancellation the next afternoon, and off I went.  I should add here that this was my second mammogram.  I had a baseline done at 35.  Because my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer.  That baseline was fine.  This one was too.  Okay, you can yell at me now.

And now a request to you all.  May is Mammography Month.  It is the month of Mother's Day.  Please - make your mammogram appointment now and mark it on your calendar.  And don't find an excuse not to go - this particular friend was going to cancel.  Thank God she didn't.  Her breast cancer was discovered at the earliest stage, and her prognosis is excellent.

Make sure you do your self-examinations.  Make sure you get screened.  Let's make sure we're all around for many more Mother's Days.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

I find it interesting that the recommendation that came out earlier in the year is to NOT doing self examinations and to NOT get mammograms until after you are 50 if your family history doesn't warrant it. There was a big outcry over it. I can say that personally self exams don't work. I have large breasts and I never really know what to look for. I'm also fortunate that I won't need a mammogram for at least another 7 years. But it is important for every woman to take care of herself so let me also suggest to your reader that it's time for your annual pap smear if you haven't had it already!