Sunday, August 16, 2009

I Am SOOO Wearing Shower Shoes...


This post is bathroom humor. Seriously. It involves the worldwide breaking news story of last week, which you may have missed. It seems an environmental group in Brazil launched a TV ad campaign asking everyone to urinate in the shower, estimating that each household would conserve over 1,000 gallons of water per household annually.

I know urine is sterile, but... eeeewwwwwwwwwww. That story is right up there with the start of summer "Do You Know What's In Your Pool Water?" articles. Thanks, but no thanks. I don't want to know. Let me just pretend that the chemical soup I'm swimming in has neutralized any bodily fluids that may have been unleashed. Or that no one has done anything in the water but swim.

And thanks so much, news media, thanks for making this a global story, so global that my children heard it. And thought it was hysterical. Particularly DS#2, who said "So I can save water if I pee in the shower?" Which I quickly responded, "Not in this family you don't!", and muttered something about, "and anyone who even thinks of it will be scrubbing the tub afterwards, am I clear?!?!" Since they're not into any more chores than absolutely necessary, I think they're convinced that it's not an option for our family.

I am all for water conservation, but there has got to be a better way than asking the family to use the shower as a urinal! Those of us who grew up with septic systems had our own way to conserve water. Have Brazilians never heard the phrase, "If it's brown, flush it down, if it's yellow, let it mellow."? Maybe they should have that be their campaign slogan...

Remind to me to pack my shower shoes and Clorox wipes for my trip to Rio!

No comments: