Thursday, August 5, 2010

It's ALIVE!!!

Me that is. I finally feel like a human being for the first time in eleven days. ELEVEN DAYS!!!! For the record, I have never been this sick in my life. The closest I came was the morning (all-day) sickness when pregnant with the Middle Child.

When we got home from vacation, I knew I didn’t feel right. But I chalked it up to a combo of being tired and allergies. And that I was PMSing.

Yeah, right. I should have been so lucky.

The flu that had the Baby and the Middle Child (and others in our group) throwing up during our vacation week (thankfully on different days) finally latched onto me last Tuesday. Full force. Meaning I made it into work for one whole hour, returned home, ran into the house, and made it as far as the bathroom sink before I threw up. And then passed out.

Then the real trouble started. Hubby was in the shower when I ran in, and all he heard was me say “hi”… and then a thud. Because when I passed out. And hit the back of my head on the side of the tub. He said I was out for a good 30+ seconds, with the whole-eyes-rolled-back-in-my-head-thing going on. All I know is I woke up to him kneeling over me, dripping wet and yelling “Wake up! Can you hear me? Wake up!”

I told him to stop yelling. I was fine. No, don’t call 9-1-1. Or my mother.

Then I sat up. My head hurt… a lot. My stomach hurt more. So I threw up a few more times and then crawled to our bedroom. And spent the next 72 hours there with a bucket next to me. He called my mother anyway.  He was scared... particularly when I begged him to stay home.

I only left to go to the hospital Thursday to have my head checked out. Because friggin’ Dr. Oz did that show after Natasha Richardson died, where he said if you hit your head and pass out, you should seek medical attention. So I did. I called my doctor’s office, and they told me to… of course, go to the ER. Glad I didn’t go to the hospital for my stupid toe; now I have the money for the co-pay for this visit. After a bag of IV fluids, some anti-nausea meds, and a CAT scan, I was feeling better. The diagnosis? I have the flu.  And a big bump on my head that's going to hurt for a while. That was the understatement of the century. I believe the term “Throcking Headache” would be appropriate.

On the upside, my mother came over when Hubby went to work to help out and take care of me. And she did laundry. And cleaned. And made the kids dinner. And made them do their chores. All while I’ve been fighting this bug off.

Did I mention how much I love my mom?!?

I got to lie in bed, and then this week, just to change it up, the couch. I couldn’t focus to be on the computer or read or do much of anything, so I’ve been watching a lot of daytime TV. Ugh. What happened to the TV from when we were kids? Merv Griffin and Mike Douglas and Dinah Shore and Bob Barker and a lot of daytime soaps. Now it’s “Who’s-the-11th-man-who-might-be-your-baby’s-daddy?” shows and talk shows with women who yell at one another a lot and other garbage. But there is Lipton’s Chicken Noodle Soup. And Gatorade.

So things are looking up.  I'm finally feeling normal again.  Today, the Oldest told me he could tell I was feeling better because I was happy again. And nagging them about their dirty socks in the TV room.

Now, a question for you ladies:  have you ever been so sick that you couldn't do your normal "Mom" stuff?  And who, if anyone, stepped in to help out?


Shelli said...


I am glad you are feeling better, but I must say the "losing consciousness" incident even moreso! I had a bad flu shortly after I had D. I was in bed for almost two weeks, with a fever that pitched up and down as high as 104.5

I was never-ever that sick in my life, and although I didn't pass out, I came close then.

My Mom beared the burden of caring for me and D when I was sick. S couldn't, since he got it too. I was sick in one room, he in another. The Moms took shifts caring for us and D. I will never forget it.

So glad you are feeling better.

Stacey said...

Considering we are hundreds of miles away from family it would have to be DH that steps up to the plate. Which he does all the time anyway, even if I'm not sick. We'd be in real trouble, though, if we were both sick at the same time! Glad you are feeling better.

evenshine said...

First, glad you're better. I was wondering about the protracted silence.

Secondly- people from my church. When I passed out in class and had the whole ER/CAT/MRI thing happen, it was people from our church that volunteered to clean, make meals, and watch the kids. Community can suck, but it can also rock now and then.
Glad you're back!

Zephra said...

When I am sick and can't be a Mom, nothing gets done. Nothing. It is almost like they can't do anything for themselves. Funny thing is that I am not one of those Moms who does everything. I guess they just really need someone to tell them what to do all the time.

Mom et al said...

Wow. I'm so sorry you were ill, so glad you are feeling better, and so thankful you didn't really hurt yourself when you fell and hit your head!

The only time I have ever been really sick was immediately after I had given birth to my son and I was already in the hospital. I had contracted some sort of infection (we're talking Center for Infectious Diseases looking me over in space suits) and had a 105 degree fever. Needless to say, even when I was coherant I wasn't allowed near my newborn or my 2 year old. They never figured out what it was - I figured complications from the C section but the doctors felt I already had something before I went on the table. Good times.

Glad you're feelint better!

Two Normal Moms said...

Your mom is the best! I'm pretty lucky - my husband works from home, so the RARE occasions that I'm ill, he is a sweetheart. I just don't get sick that much, so when I do, it's AWFUL! Eleven days? Ugh. Can't imagine. Glad you are feeling better!